Sheriff’s Office FAQ

How do I… (Frequently Asked Questions)

Collect on a Law Suit or Small Claims Judgment if the Other Party Won’t Pay?

faqYou may either file a Garnishment with the presiding Court or ask the Court to issue an Execution.

A Garnishment is a Court Order to an employer to have a predetermined amount removed from the Defendant’s pay check and deposited with the Court and the Court will turn the money over to you until the debt is paid in full.

An Execution is a Court Order to the Sheriff’s Office to seize personal property or real estate, sell such property and pay you the amount of the judgment plus the expenses related to the seizure, storage, advertising and sale of that property.

A judgment or the Execution will not guarantee that you will get your money. There are a number of exemptions that the defendant is entitled to which may or may not exclude some or all of their property from being seized and sold. The defendant may own or possess property but the lack of equity in such property may not allow it to be seized; mortgage holders and/or lenders must receive payment before you.

The services of a civil attorney are highly recommended for this procedure.

Find a Sex Offender that may be in My Neighborhood?

Sex offenders are classified by the sentencing Court as Level 1, Level 2, or Level 3; a Level 3 sex offender is the most dangerous and Level 3 sex offender information is public information.

Level 1, Level 2 and Level 3 Sex Offenders must register their personal information, including address, with the Sheriff’s Office. Level 3 Sex Offenders information may be found here.

Get a Copy of an Accident Report?

Insurance companies and other law enforcement agencies who need a copy of an accident report should contact the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office by telephone, in person or by letter and request the information needed. The request may be made by Case Number or name of an individual involved and date of the accident. There is a fee of $4.00 for a copy of the accident report, $3.00 for a copy of the LCSO incident report, and a $25.00 fee for a copy of pictures to any person or company, other than law enforcement agencies.

Letters should be addressed as follows:

Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office

Attn: Records

302 North Jeffers Street

North Platte, NE 69101-3961

Get a Title (VIN) Inspection?

If you purchase a vehicle that has an out-of-state title, or move to Nebraska with an out-of-state title, you will not be able to transfer the title to Nebraska until the vehicle and title are inspected by the Sheriff’s Office. According to Nebraska State Statute, your vehicle must be in running order. Bring your vehicle, out-of-state title and $10.00 cash to the south door of the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office and we will be happy to help you. There are specific parking spots on the south side of 3rd Street for your convenience.

Get a Permit to Purchase a Firearm in the State of Nebraska?

If you reside inside the city limits of North Platte, you must go to the North Platte Police Department. Everyone who resides outside the city limits of North Platte must purchase their firearm permit at the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office and will need their Nebraska Driver’s License, with current address, and $5.00 cash.

Have Civil Process Papers Served?

Anything other than Eviction Notices MUST be filed with the Court that holds jurisdiction over the case and, although you may do this yourself, it is easiest to have this done through your attorney. The Court must file the paper and will then transfer the paper to the Sheriff’s Office for service. There is a charge for paper service which includes the service and mileage.

Have Renters Removed from my House or Other Property if their Rent Payment is Delinquent?

Obtain a “Notice to Terminate” from any of the local Office Supply stores, complete the form and bring the original and a copy of the form to the Sheriff’s Office. There will be a charge for serving the paper and that fee must be paid when the paper is delivered to the Sheriff’s Office.

The Notice to Terminate does not give the Sheriff the authority to move a delinquent tenant. That power comes from a Writ of Restitution which must be issued by a court with jurisdiction over that issue after the Notice to Terminate is ignored.

Under Nebraska law, the landlord may give the delinquent tenant as long as desired to move out but must give that tenant a minimum of three (3) days.

Make payments on a distress warrant?

Distress Warrants are delinquent personal property taxes. Distress Warrants MUST be paid at the Sheriff’s Office with a personal check or cash. If Distress Warrants are not paid, property will be seized by the Sheriff’s Office and sold at public auction. Any property owned by the delinquent tax payer may be seized to satisfy the Distress Warrant. Nebraska State Law requires interest to accrue on delinquent property taxes until paid in full.

Report a crime?

There are a number of ways that you may report a crime. IF the crime is occurring or it is an emergency, simply call 911 and a professional dispatcher will assist you.

If the criminal action is over, such as finding that your car has been spray painted sometime during the night, we request that you call the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office non-emergency number, 308-535-9599, and you will be transferred to a dispatcher.