Pistol Purchase Applications

Pursuant to Nebraska Statute 69-2403 a handgun certificate is required to purchase, lease, rent, or receive a handgun. The law applies to both retail and private party transactions. The law also prohibits selling, leasing, renting, or transferring a handgun to a person who does not possess a handgun certificate. A certificate is not required if: handgun

  • The person acquiring the handgun is a licensed firearms dealer;
  • The handgun is an antique;
  • The person acquiring the handgun is authorized to do so on behalf of a law enforcement agency;
  • The transfer is temporary and the transferee remains within (a) in the line of sight of the transferor or (b) within the premises of an established shooting facility; or
  • The transfer is between a person and his or her spouse, sibling, parent, child, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, or grandparent.


Applicants who live outside the North Platte city limits may apply in person at the Sheriff’s Office, 302 North Jeffers Street, North Platte, NE, Monday through Friday, 8:30 A.M. to 4:30 P.M.


  • Current Nebraska operator’s license, Nebraska state ID card, or a Military ID card. The address on your Nebraska ID must be current and match the address on the application. If your only form of ID is a Military ID card, you must also provide proof of Lincoln County residency (i.e. utility bill, vehicle registration, pay stub, etc.)
  • Application fee of $5.00.
  • Applicants born outside the U.S. must also provide a copy of their citizenship papers, U.S. Passport, birth certificate, or alien resident card.


To obtain a handgun certificate from our office you must be at least 21 years old and a current LIincoln County Resident.


Applications will be denied if the applicant:

  • fails to answer all questions on the application;
  • is under indictment or information (i.e. charges have been filed in court) for a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year;
  • has been convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year;
  • is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance;
  • has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to a mental institution;
  • is an alien unlawfully in the United States or an alien admitted to the United States under a non-immigrant visa;
  • has been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions;
  • having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced his or her citizenship;
  • is subject to a court order that restrains the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of such intimate partner;
  • has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.


Certificates are valid, statewide, for three years at which time applicants must apply for a new certificate.