As we are in the midst of summer it is also time for salespersons to visit your home. All our villages require a Peddlers Permits to sell in the village. If they can not produce a permit, shut the door and contact the Sheriff’s Office. A short list is below.
DOOR TO DOOR SALESPERSON:
DO’S and DON’TS
1) Vacuum Sales, never fall for this.
2) Magazines Sales, only listen if its school kids or local charity.
3) Siding / Window; use only local contractors.
4) Driveway Resurfacing; never fall for this, ALWAYS A SCAM. Only use local contractors. We have some good ones in the area.
5) Roofing; use only local contractors
6) Steaks / Seafood; usually old food of low quality and may have been stolen.
7) Ask to use the phone or bathroom; never let them in these people will take your prescriptions.
8) Ask to use computer to look at a Website; never let them in may steal personal information.
9) Selling Knives or Tools; always refuse never let them in.
10) Steel Buildings; very big scam use local companies.
1) Always ask to see the permit, if they cannot produce a valid permit shut the door and call the Sheriff’s Office. Try to give a description, vehicle (license plate), person and what they are trying to sell.
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER….. DO THIS:
1) Give any personal information, bank information, date of birth, or social security number.
2) Let the subjects in your residence.
3) Tell them you live alone.
4) Never give names or ages of children, sex offenders have gone door to door asking these questions.
5) Never sign anything, not ever!!!! Remember you were doing just fine without their product or help.
THINGS TO REMEMBER:
If you did not call them, you don’t want it.
Are they Lincoln County residents, do they have proof? If they are not be very careful!!!!
ALWAYS REMEMBER YOU CAN:
Tell them to leave immediately or you will call the Sheriff’s Office. Call the Sheriff’s Office if they do not leave immediately. Tell the Deputy the sales person was Trespassing and they Disturbed your Peace. Give a written statement if requested.
Jerome J. Kramer
Lincoln County Sherif